Boeing B-29A Superfortress "Fifi"

The only flying B-29 in the world. Built by Boeing in Renton factory, WA in late 1944, its first assignment in 1945 was the USAAF in Kentucky. Then converted as TB-29A (trainer bomber/target towing/radar targets) it went to desert storage in the early 50s and came back to active service in 1953 until 1958. Then it was stored again among 36 other B-29s in China Lake Naval Air Weapons Station, Muroc Dry Lake, CA. 13 years later the CAF, which was long looking for a B-29 to restore, has been authorized by the USAF and the US Navy to make it airworthy (by cannibalizing parts one the others B-29 stored there) for one flight only. 5 months were needed for that task and "Fifi" was flown out of China Lake to CAF headquarters, Harlington, TX in order to be deeply overhauled. That took another 3 years and a few million dollars, and since 1974 "Fifi" is touring North American meetings with other aircrafts belonging to the CAF. Commemorative Air Force s/n 44-62070

Boeing B-29A Superfortress "Fifi"